How to use XCard
- Re-worked the tranlsation screen.
- The tranlsation screen can now translate from French to English or
- XCard can now speak in English
- Bug fix on the initial word list selection screen
- Set the default jvm support to 1.4+. I could not retain 1.3
support due to a bug in URL encoding with jvm 1.3.x.
- Changed code to eliminate deprecated api calls
- With 1.4 jvm support, it is no longer necessary to download the
xml jar files. XCard justs uses the xml api shipped with the 1.4 jvm.
- Now Supports French users trying to learn English. Preferences
can choose whether you want to translate to English or French.
- More pictures added
- Bug fixed with the audio
- Preferences panel localized
- Workaround of a possible jarsigner bug with jdk 1.4.2
- More message localization
- Upgraded kunststoff look and feel to 2.0.1. Improved ui
performance and bug fixes for kunststoff look and feel.
- Added present subjunctive
- Startup is slightly faster
- Changed Text to Speech Engine
- Upgraded JFreeChart
- Translations now work again
- The menus are now in French or English
- Fixed a bug when trying to save a word list
- Tested with jdk1.4.1 and java webstart 1.2
- Added reflexive word list
- Fixed bugs related to translating words
- Now using a different Text to Speech Engine
- On-line translations now work again
- Warning message displayed if the audio line is not available. Typically,
this will affect Linux when another application is using the audio line
- Added Irregular Futur wordlist
- Fixed a nullpointer bug with the lookup
- Updated the kunststoff look and feel
- XCard has been featured on Sun's Swing Sightings website
- Kunststoff look and feel added. Can be accessed via the
preferences. Choosing Default look and feel uses the system look and
feel. Let me know if this is a problem for Mac OS X users.
- Updated image to something more modern that works a little better
with the Kunststoff look and feel
- Fixed a bug where XCard did not remember the volume preference
- Added Le corps humain to default word list
- More localization
- New version of JFreechart works around RedHat 7.2 deadlock condition
- Bug fixed when switching locale
- Temporary files are deleted when jvm exits under Windows
- Progress page now localized
- Fixed some small bugs in the irregular verbs conjugation
- Added the Lookup capability. This allows you to type in an
English word which it will translate the word. You can then add it to
the current list or create your own list.
- Fixed a bug where if you tried to save your list and you were working on
individual parts, the full list was not saved.
- You can now choose whether you want to work on the excellent words or poor
words by clicking on the happy faces. This new feature allows the user to
only work on poorly known words or words that are well known.
- New flash card engine implemented. This was needed to implement the
feature of selectively working on a list. Also, I think the new flash
card engine repeats words better and allows you to get through a whole list
faster than the previous version.
- Help item added to the menu which takes you to this page
- New pictures added
- Several of the default word lists have more words added and several
- Added Irregular Verbs, but this one doesn't have any
- Fixed some bugs with the Irregular Verbs Passé Composé and added
some more words
2/13/01 - Merci Jean Pierre. He found a couple of bugs in the default
- Added Irregular Verbs Passé Composé
- Contraires - lendemain
- La Conduite - la minéralogique
- Added the capability for ï in words. I can't find it, but there
was a word in Journal Français that used an ï.
- Added the places word list.
- Added a list of adjectives too.
- Now displays a progress bar to show how many words were attempted.
- Contraires were added
- Faster loading of larger word lists
- Added Chapter 8 La Conduite.
- Depending on what version you have, you might get a note about
upgrading XCard. Unfortunately, under MS Windows the dialog box is
hidden. It will look like XCard is up and running, but it won't let
you input anything. Simply hit Alt-Tab to display the message about
the upgrade and then hit ok.
- The pictures, default words, and code are in a separate
container. This allows me to update a part of the application so that
upgrades happen incrementally.
- Another bug fix on the sound preference
- Fixed a bug in the overall score calculation
- More bug fixes to allow incremental updates of the list of
- Faster startup time and lower usage of memory.
- The scoring was updated to handle regression of well known words.
- Bug fix where the sound would not be off even though it was specified
off in the preferences.
- More display translations
- Added localization support. Go to Edit and choose Preferences to
change the default display language.
- Le médecin word list added to the list of default word lists